Saturday, September 27, 2014

Analytical Response Science Blog

Here is a link to my Science Blog. 

     For my essay, “Are Copyright Laws Out of Date?” I chose to focus on Charles Bailey Jr’s, “Net Neutrality = Digital Dystopia”, discussing how copyright laws are being misused in todays internet based society. I chose one article for Wired.com called “Corporations Abusing Copyright Laws Are Ruining the Web for Everyone” and an article from the New York Times International website called, “The Inexact Science Behind D.M.C.A Takedown Notices.” Both of these articles provided an immense amount of information backing up my theory.
    Once I found my information, I reread the Blogging book to find out ways to frame my blog in a new light. Blog is defined as, “a discussion or informational site published on the World Wide Wed and consisting of discrete entries, typically displayed in reverse chronological order” (Rettberg 32). Although having the definition of a blog was helpful, I chose to focus more on the style of the blog. In our Style book, we discussed Cohesion and Coherence. This is one thing I found hard for me to do throughout my essay. While I had the information, it was not being placed in a way that framed the ideas in my own perspective. Our style book states that cohesion and coherence are two different aspects of writing, and you need both to succeed. “Think of cohesion as pairs of sentences fitting together the way individual pieces of a jigsaw puzzle do. Think of coherence as seeing what all the sentences in a piece of writing add up to the way all the pieces in a puzzle add up to the picture on the box” (Williams 38).
    That was finally what helped me frame my story. Rather than spitting out the information I had read, I needed to reframe the information to be a new article, which I did not quite get in the beginning. Another chapter in Style that helped me is the chapter on Shape. In all my essays, the feedback was that I was not stating my point from the start, but rather giving those important pieces of information at the end. “When we read its point first, we can anticipate the relevance of the next nineteen words even before we read them” (Williams 101).
   The last source I used for this essay is Grant-Davie’s article on rhetorical constraints. In that article, he says, “Bitzer argues that understanding the situation is important because the situation invites and largely determines the form of the rhetorical work that responds to it” (Grant-Davie 265). I had to keep rereading this section to keep this point in mind. I continuously forgot who and why I was writing this article and what was the importance of it. My rhetorical situation kept leaving my mind. I believe after all the work I did, the article came out wonderfully framed and made a good point.


Works Cited:
Grant‐Davie, Keith. "Rhetorical Situations and Their Constituents."Rhetoric Review 15.2 (1997): 264-79. Web.
Rettberg, Jill Walker. Blogging. Cambridge, UK: Polity, 2008. Print.
Williams, Joseph M. Style: The Basics of Clarity and Grace. New York: Pearson Longman, 2009. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment